6 September New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony is expected to make a statement in the Parliament on Friday and clarify on the reports that 640 sq km of Indian territory being occupied by China in Daulat Beg Oldie and other sectors in Ladakh.
A ground situation report on the Indo-China border revealed that Chinese troops are not letting their Indian counterparts patrol the Indian side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC). It may be noted that the border between India and China is not demarcated at several places and is described as LAC, which is based on perception.
The report, commissioned by the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), was handed over to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month by National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) chairperson Shyam Saran. It was subsequently shared with the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) as well.
The issue was raised in the Lok Sabha on Thursday by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha who said media reports have quoted the Committee as having concluded that 640 sq km of Indian territory has been occupied by China.
He wanted Defence Minister AK Antony to immediately clarify the situation in Parliament. Government agreed, saying Antony will be requested to make a statement by 1 PM tomorrow or as early as possible.
“The Parliament is unaware of this… The Defence Minister should be called immediately to the House and he should clarify on the issue. There should be a debate in the House,” Sinha said.
As per the report, the Prime Minister had instructed Saran to visit eastern Ladakh and Siachen sectors in the first week of August for reviewing infrastructure development and security situation.
As per the assessment, Chinese troops have particularly been aggressive in the Daulet Beg Oldi (DBO) sector, Depsang Bulge and Chumar.
In response to the alarming development, the government has set up an inter-ministerial panel to monitor the LAC situation. It has also instructed concerned officials to remove the bureaucratic hurdles in Ladakh to speed up infrastructure development.